Love the look of stone but you can't even afford the rocks in your head? (That?s a joke, son!) If you have old newspaper lying around, you can have the look of stone you love ? inexpensively! Here?s how:
1. Paint the wall with a cote of white latex enamel. It is best to use low-luster enamel with a sponge brush applicator (available at most discount stores for around $1). Let the paint dry to the touch.
2. Choose a flat earth-tone or neutral glaze using a clean sponge brush. Apply the glaze in random strokes over one-half the surface.
3. Repeat this step with a darker glaze, but leaving small random areas unglazed.
4. Next we wash! Apply a white wash in some areas and a earth-tone wash in others. Again, the more random the better!
5. Fold an old newspaper in half and then in half again. Place it flat against a small part of the wall and press. Lift and repeat in another area. Each time you lift, more glaze will be removed.
6. Turn the paper in different directions to help blend the colors into random patterns. Fun, huh?
7. If you feel that one area needs more color, spread glaze on the newspaper and press it flat to the desired area.
8. Repeat the process until you are satisfied with the look. Leave some light and dark spots in the pattern.
9. Let the paint dry. (Don't watch it - it?s deadly dull!)
10. Finally apply more white wash to the entire surface. Soften the colors by dabbing with a clean cotton cloth.
11. Allow the paint to dry once more. (I didn?t say this process would be exciting, did I?)
The look you will achieve with this technique will mimic the depth, color variations and rough look of more expensive stone tiles. Not bad for a little paint and some old newspaper, right? Now go out there and dab!
About the author:
Pamela Cole Harris has been a writer and designer for 35 years (Yikes, has it been that long?) Enjoy her tongue-in-cheek approach to inexpensive interior design at:
Circulated by http://www.article-emporium.com
< Previous article |
Next article >
>> Decorative Know How - Faux Marble In Six Easy Steps
>> Define your spaces with an area rug.
>> Down and Dirty Real World Clean Sweep for Work at Home Women
>> Faux Wood Mini Blinds -
>> Furniture Placement Secrets